to the end

Studying in Germany | Requirements | Language | Application | Internships and Jobs




As a general procedure you should apply for an university place, like many others, via uni-assist, as long as your university of choice is a member of uni-assist. Otherwise you should apply directly at the Hochschule, because they handle the applications. You can ask the academic office of foreign countries of the Hochschule how to apply.

For the application for an university place you need the following documents:

  • A certified/ legally attested copy of your credentials
  • A certified/ legally attested copy of all your credentials from your university, if existing
  • A passport picture
  • A copy of your passport (the page with name/photo)
  • Certificates of spoken languages

If you want to apply via uni-assist, please consider the following:

  • From the 1st of march 2016 uni-assist surveys your documents free of charge if you have the status of tolerance or asylum
  • You need the test for foreign students (TestAS). This test checks your cognitive abilities and language skills and is free of charge for registered refugees.
  • You should apply for the free survey of your application. On the uni-assist website you can find information regarding the necessary documents and how to apply for it.



If you have limited access or access under certain conditions to job offers depends on your status of your right of residence. When your asylum is granted, you may work without any restrictions. If you have a permission to stay or you are approved as “tolerated”, you can find information about access conditions on the website of the federal office for migration and refugees. Generally it is important your knowledge of the German language is solid. In case you have a working qualification from your home country, you can check on the admission finder with what German qualification it is comparable to. It also shows you who you can contact with those issues.


In general you need a CV (curriculum vitae) and a letter of motivation for your application. When you have a university degree or a certificate of an internship or languages, you should hand them in for an application.

Your local employment agency offers application trainings where you learn how to write a CV or a letter of motivation. Here you find some examples for a good CV and a letter of motivation. There are also some projects that connect you directly with some companies: