to the end

Studying in Germany | Requirements | Language | Application | Internships and Jobs


University Entrance Qualifications and German Language Skills | Health insurance



As a refugee you will be treated just like other international students. To study in Germany you need sufficient German language skills and a university entrance qualification (called in German Hochschulzugangsberechtigung). The most of the degree programmes are in German, but there are some Master’s degree programmes in English. To
prove your German you have to pass either die deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang, called the DSH (German Language University Entrance Examination for Foreign Applicants) at Level II or Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache, called TestDaF (Test of German as a Foreign Language) at Level TDN 4. These levels are equal to the CEFR level C1.

You can take the DSH at the University or at the Studienkollegs. TestDaF can be taken at the testing centres of TestDaF.

Furthermore, you need the university entrance qualification. In Germany you can get this qualification, for example, with the finishing diploma from the secondary school. If your secondary-school-certificate is equivalent to the German certificate, you can directly apply for study. Otherwise you have to take a qualification assessment examination (called Feststellungsprüfung). You can prepare for this test by completing a foundation course at the Studienkollegs. During one preparation year you gain language and subject-specific skills, which you need for the study. How and where to apply you can find out at the Inobis-website.

Even if your documents are incomplete or you don’t have your school certificates, you have a chance to study. In this exceptional case, your study-eligibility should be verified – mostly in the form of interviews directly at the university, where you wish to study. You can get more information about this opportunity at the International Office.

If you want to study in Germany, you have to have a health insurance. Please get more information below.



To be able to study in Germany, you must have a valid health insurance. Moreover, you must send the confirmation of it to chosen university along with your application.

Health insurance from following countries is acknowledged in Germany: Members of the European Union, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iceland, Israel, Lichtenstein, Morocco, Macedonia, Montenegro, Norway, Switzerland, Serbia, Tunisia, and Turkey.

The insurance from private companies in and out of Germany are also valid. Further information will be provided by your health insurance company. If your insurance is acknowledged, you are going to need a confirmation, so you can be released from the health insurance obligation in Germany. You need it for you university application. You have to get it from the chosen German National Health Service. However, you cannot switch the service during you entire studies here.

If your health insurance is not recognized in Germany or you don’t have one, you must insure yourself in German National Health Service.

Membership fees until the age of 30 (or until the end of 14th semester at the University) for health insurance cost around 80 € per month. After this period they cost around 160€ per month.

If you started studies after the age of 29, you can only insure yourself in private companies.